Sunday, September 18, 2011

Return

So here we go. Two solid weeks of effort. Two midterms. A presentation. Readings. Another paper. More readings. And then I can go home again.


As you can imagine, I'm most bothered by the presentation. Just the very thought of it fills my consciousness with uncertain anticipation. I think of home and the tranquility of the backwood, the gentle thicket and I am comforted that at the end of two weeks time I will yet again sally forth homewards to be comforted by the kind warmth of home and hearth.

My dog will be waiting with patient smiles and a steady pant of joy. I will pet his stomach and under his chin and he will shake his leg and go stiff in ecstasy. Dinner will be warm and aromatic and there will be many great stories to tell and many great times to be had. And all will be good.

On this lonely, ill-feeling night, the only comfort I find is in the promise of my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment